June is a great time to organize your car for summer ballgamesback
Conquering Car Clutter
The average American spends 2 ½ hours a day in the car, so why not make this space organized?
The Major Mom method of "S.T.E.P.S." - Sort, Treasures, Establish a home, Put it away, Start new habits - can help you organize your car quickly!
The task may seem daunting, but anytime you are organizing a space it is best to start with a clean slate. Clear an area in your garage and mark boxes by category (e.g. work, kids, shopping, emergency kit, trash). Empty your car, including the glove box, center console, trunk space, door and seat pockets, and everywhere in-between. Sort the items into the boxes (you will be surprised how much will make its way directly to the trash can!) This is a great time to quickly vacuum your car and wipe down interior surfaces.
As you categorize the items coming out of your car, review what needs to return to the car, and which items can be relocated to your home or garage. Think about what you need on a day-to-day (or in case of emergency) basis.
Must-haves in your car:
- Documents: Active registration, proof of insurance
- Emergency kit items: Ice scraper, tire chains, gloves, jacket, blanket, water, snacks, jumper cables, first aid kit, umbrella, flashlight, small tool kit
Other helpful items to have:
- Documents: Car manual, car repair records, maps, AAA card
- Coupons, gift cards, and store membership cards
- Items to be returned to stores, items to donate, items to be returned to friends
- Reusable shopping bags, trash bag
- For kids: snacks, drinks, toys, books, napkins, tissue, wipes, and diapers
- For work: forms, folders, business cards, pens, notepad, lint brush, stain remover wipes, car chargers
ESTABLISH A HOME
Now find a place for the items that are returning to your car, keeping in mind how accessible each item needs to be. Loose items not only make your car disorganized, but are a safety hazard as well.
- Glove box: registration, insurance, manual, repair records, maps and AAA card
- Center console: Items that need to be most accessible, including your store cards, cell phone car charger, pen, and garage door opener.
- Trunk: emergency kit, shopping bags and other miscellaneous items that do not need to be readily accessible.
- For kids: An over the seat organizer holds items within a child's reach.
- For work: An organizing tote on the front seat to contain all your mobile office needs.
PUT IT AWAY
Now that you know what is going back in your car and where it is going, it is time to put it all away. Ask children to help put their own items away to teach them responsibility for organizing too.
START NEW HABITS
Think about those items that you pulled out of your car. As items enter your car on a daily basis, remember to remove them at the end of the day to avoid the build-up of clutter. Small steps like removing the empty water bottle each day will keep your car from becoming disorganized again. You can use one of your reusable shopping bags to do a quick sweep of the car to empty out anything that does not belong.
Still overwhelmed? A Major Mom professional organizer can help you through all the S.T.E.P.S. to clear car clutter for good!
In a recent survey 89% of women said being organized makes them safer drivers and helps them keep their eyes on the road.
--Road and Travel Magazine
Every time you exit your car, make it a habit to take items no longer needed in the car. If you don't let the clutter accumulate, it will make cleaning out the car a breeze.
Products & Services to Know About
Major Mom has an Organizing Tote that makes a fantastic car organizer and mobile office. The tote includes 18 pockets and an open interior, is easy to carry and can hold up to 50 pounds!
You can find this product under the "Organizing Store" tab at www.majormom.biz or by contacting your personal Major Mom Liberatorrganizer.
This fabulous tote can be used to organize your crafts, scrapbook items, traveling office items, car kits and much, much more! Our organizing troops use it as their Organizing Toolkit.
- 18 open pockets makes it easier to put items away and find again.
- Water resistant cover
- 16"L X 12"W X 7.5"H
- Totes are available in black, blue, red or khaki.
- Totes are $38 plus tax and shipping. To order your tote email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clear Zippered Pouch
To prevent papers from scattering about your car, place work papers, your kids' school papers, or general papers in a clear zippered pouch. A Clear Zippered Pouch keeps them all in one place and easy to identify quickly. You can find this product at the Container Store.